Are Your Tummy Ills All in Your Head?
Stress may be causing your stomach ache. Find foods to help.
Yogurt: You’ve heard that probiotics (good-for-you bacteria in foods like yogurt) can improve digestive health—and there’s some evidence they might. Now a British Journal of Nutrition study indicates they may alleviate stress as well. Study participants who took a probiotic supplement felt less stress, depression and anxiety than those who received a placebo. “Probiotics are very strain-specific, meaning that each strain has unique and distinct benefits,” says D. Milton Stokes, M.P.H., R.D., co-author of Flat Belly Diet! for Men (Rodale, 2009). “While this study looked at only two specific strains [that aren’t currently available to consumers in foods], it provides encouraging evidence that probiotics may have a beneficial impact on the mind-gut connection.”Next Food to Get Your Stomach Back on Track: Fatty Fish »
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)