From EatingWell: November/December 1998
These spicy gingerbread pancakes are delectable served with maple syrup, Vanilla Cream or Warm Lemon Sauce.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup apple butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Whisk flours, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk egg, buttermilk, molasses, apple butter and oil in another bowl, until smooth. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Moisten a crumpled paper towel with oil and use it to lightly oil a large nonstick skillet over medium heat (or preheat an electric griddle to 375°F and lightly oil). Spoon about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto the prepared pan and cook until bottoms are golden and small bubbles start to form on top, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and cook until the other side is browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Lightly oil pan between batches. (Adjust heat as necessary for even browning.) Keep warm in the oven. Serve hot.
Per serving: 255 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 361 mg sodium; 557 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (33% daily value), Magnesium (24% dv), Iron (17% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, Other
- November/December 1998