From EatingWell: November/December 1998
These spicy gingerbread pancakes are delectable served with maple syrup, Vanilla Cream or Warm Lemon Sauce.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup apple butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Whisk flours, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk egg, buttermilk, molasses, apple butter and oil in another bowl, until smooth. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Moisten a crumpled paper towel with oil and use it to lightly oil a large nonstick skillet over medium heat (or preheat an electric griddle to 375°F and lightly oil). Spoon about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto the prepared pan and cook until bottoms are golden and small bubbles start to form on top, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and cook until the other side is browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Lightly oil pan between batches. (Adjust heat as necessary for even browning.) Keep warm in the oven. Serve hot.
Per serving: 255 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 361 mg sodium; 557 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (33% daily value), Magnesium (24% dv), Iron (17% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, Other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- November/December 1998