From EatingWell: November/December 1998
These spicy gingerbread pancakes are delectable served with maple syrup, Vanilla Cream or Warm Lemon Sauce.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup apple butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Whisk flours, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk egg, buttermilk, molasses, apple butter and oil in another bowl, until smooth. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Moisten a crumpled paper towel with oil and use it to lightly oil a large nonstick skillet over medium heat (or preheat an electric griddle to 375°F and lightly oil). Spoon about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto the prepared pan and cook until bottoms are golden and small bubbles start to form on top, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and cook until the other side is browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Lightly oil pan between batches. (Adjust heat as necessary for even browning.) Keep warm in the oven. Serve hot.
Per serving: 255 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 361 mg sodium; 557 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (33% daily value), Magnesium (24% dv), Iron (17% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, Other
- November/December 1998