From EatingWell: November/December 1998
These spicy gingerbread pancakes are delectable served with maple syrup, Vanilla Cream or Warm Lemon Sauce.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup apple butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Whisk flours, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk egg, buttermilk, molasses, apple butter and oil in another bowl, until smooth. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Moisten a crumpled paper towel with oil and use it to lightly oil a large nonstick skillet over medium heat (or preheat an electric griddle to 375°F and lightly oil). Spoon about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto the prepared pan and cook until bottoms are golden and small bubbles start to form on top, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and cook until the other side is browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Lightly oil pan between batches. (Adjust heat as necessary for even browning.) Keep warm in the oven. Serve hot.
Per serving: 255 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 361 mg sodium; 557 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (33% daily value), Magnesium (24% dv), Iron (17% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, Other
- November/December 1998