From EatingWell: June/July 2006
These tangy hard-boiled eggs are a snap to make. Sliced in half, the fuchsia "white" surrounding the bright yellow yolk is dazzling. Wrap some egg slices and onions in a flatbread for an impromptu snack.
- 1 15-ounce can beets
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 medium onion, sliced into rings
- 6 large eggs
- Drain liquid from beets into a small saucepan, reserving the beets for another use. Add vinegar, sugar, salt, bay leaves and cloves to the pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves. Pour the pickling liquid into a large deep bowl and stir in onions; set aside to cool for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook at the lowest simmer for 10 minutes. Pour off the hot water and run cold water over the eggs until they are completely cooled. Peel the eggs.
- When the pickling liquid is cool, place the peeled eggs in a 4-cup container; pour the pickling liquid over the eggs, then spoon the onions on top. (The onions should hold the eggs under the liquid.) Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Remove the eggs and onions from the pickling liquid. Refrigerate in an airtight container. Serve the onions (which are also delicious on burgers) alongside the eggs, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Once removed from the pickling liquid, the eggs will keep, in an airtight container, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 88 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 187 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 89 mg sodium; 127 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 1 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- June/July 2006