From EatingWell: June/July 2006
These tangy hard-boiled eggs are a snap to make. Sliced in half, the fuchsia "white" surrounding the bright yellow yolk is dazzling. Wrap some egg slices and onions in a flatbread for an impromptu snack.
- 1 15-ounce can beets
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 medium onion, sliced into rings
- 6 large eggs
- Drain liquid from beets into a small saucepan, reserving the beets for another use. Add vinegar, sugar, salt, bay leaves and cloves to the pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves. Pour the pickling liquid into a large deep bowl and stir in onions; set aside to cool for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook at the lowest simmer for 10 minutes. Pour off the hot water and run cold water over the eggs until they are completely cooled. Peel the eggs.
- When the pickling liquid is cool, place the peeled eggs in a 4-cup container; pour the pickling liquid over the eggs, then spoon the onions on top. (The onions should hold the eggs under the liquid.) Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Remove the eggs and onions from the pickling liquid. Refrigerate in an airtight container. Serve the onions (which are also delicious on burgers) alongside the eggs, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Once removed from the pickling liquid, the eggs will keep, in an airtight container, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 88 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 187 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 89 mg sodium; 127 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 1 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- June/July 2006