Make easy budget-friendly meals fast with a pressure cooker.
"I purchased a Wolfgang Puck Electric Pressure Cooker 2-3 months ago and use it all the time!!! I absolutely love it and the wonderful tasty meals it makes so quickly.The old fashioned kind of pressure cooker my mother had used to scare...
Even though I have cooked professionally for more than 30 years, it was my Spanish teacher, Patricia, in Quito, Ecuador, who convinced me that a pressure cooker could make my life easier. She explained that they are indispensable for preparing bean and whole-grain dishes quickly. I realized that a pressure cooker might help me incorporate these longer-cooking healthy foods that I often don’t have time to prepare into my diet more often. So I decided to give pressure cooking a try.
Pressure cookers have come a long way since their heyday in the 1940s and ’50s. Modern pressure cookers are equipped with multiple safety features. The design of the lid-locking system makes it impossible for the lid to be removed when the pot is under pressure. New-generation pressure cookers, equipped with spring-valve pressure regulators, are quiet, streamlined and safe.
A pressure cooker works by trapping steam inside the sealed pot. This causes the atmospheric pressure to rise, which increases the boiling temperature of water. So, instead of cooking food at 212°F (if you are at sea level), you cook it at 250°F, resulting in dramatically faster cooking times. And this translates into major energy savings. Depending on the type of food and whether you cook on gas or electric, a pressure cooker can help you green up your kitchen with an energy savings of up to 60 to 80 percent, according to manufacturers.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)