EatingWell Taste Test: The Great Whole-Wheat Pasta Challenge
Tasting whole-wheat spaghettis.
"The Great Value Whole Wheat Linguine from WalMart has a mild taste and decent texture that's not too mushy nor too "hard." I tried it out one day because I was being a cheapo (it's like a dollar) but ended up liking it ... Great Value...
Ronzoni/Prince Healthy Harvest Whole Wheat Blend Pasta ($1.49/13.25 oz.): Though not technically a pure whole-wheat pasta, this blend was rated “best” by 4 out of 7 of our panel. High ratings were given for its mild flavor. Hays: “It doesn’t go too far in the whole-wheaty direction.” Kjelleren: “The most versatile of the bunch.” Bove: “You could substitute this for regular pasta.” Emma Ruopp: “Great! It’s total comfort food.”
DeBoles Organic Whole Wheat Spaghetti Style Pasta (89¢/8 oz.): Tasters who like a hearty wheat flavor loved this dark and grainy-hued spaghetti. Bove: “It’s the best!” Morris: “Nice wheat flavor...would be good with a lighter sauce of nuts, garlic and olive oil.” The dark color was of concern to one of our tasters (Kjelleren) who felt it would turn off her whole-wheat-suspicious family.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- 5 “bad” foods you should be eating (331 comments)
- The #1 food you should eat (and probably don't) (211 comments)
- How to pickle anything (no canning necessary) (125 comments)
- 3 reasons you should snack on popcorn (124 comments)
- 3 reasons you should reach for canola oil when you’re cooking (102 comments)
- What’s Fresh: Is corn healthy or not? (99 comments)
- The best breakfast foods for weight loss (78 comments)
- How to make a healthy smoothie: best smoothie ingredients & 10 to ditch (76 comments)
- Is Coconut Oil Healthier Than Butter? (76 comments)
- Trying to save money? 15 foods you don’t need to buy organic (72 comments)