EatingWell Taste Test: The Great Whole-Wheat Pasta Challenge
Tasting whole-wheat spaghettis.
"The Great Value Whole Wheat Linguine from WalMart has a mild taste and decent texture that's not too mushy nor too "hard." I tried it out one day because I was being a cheapo (it's like a dollar) but ended up liking it ... Great Value...
Ronzoni/Prince Healthy Harvest Whole Wheat Blend Pasta ($1.49/13.25 oz.): Though not technically a pure whole-wheat pasta, this blend was rated “best” by 4 out of 7 of our panel. High ratings were given for its mild flavor. Hays: “It doesn’t go too far in the whole-wheaty direction.” Kjelleren: “The most versatile of the bunch.” Bove: “You could substitute this for regular pasta.” Emma Ruopp: “Great! It’s total comfort food.”
DeBoles Organic Whole Wheat Spaghetti Style Pasta (89¢/8 oz.): Tasters who like a hearty wheat flavor loved this dark and grainy-hued spaghetti. Bove: “It’s the best!” Morris: “Nice wheat flavor...would be good with a lighter sauce of nuts, garlic and olive oil.” The dark color was of concern to one of our tasters (Kjelleren) who felt it would turn off her whole-wheat-suspicious family.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- What Does a 1,500-Calorie Diet Look Like? (84 comments)
- EatingWell 28 Day Meal Plan Help (50 comments)
- EatingWell 7-Day Meal Plan Help (32 comments)
- Week #1: Are You Ready for a Change? (30 comments)
- Bottled Water vs. Tap (29 comments)
- EatingWell Magazine Digital Subscriptions or Single Issue Copies (28 comments)
- 3 Antidotes to Overeating (24 comments)
- The Wild Salmon Debate (21 comments)
- 7 Steps to Permanent Weight Loss (20 comments)
- Boost Fiber to Slim Down (18 comments)