EatingWell Taste Test: Salsas Worth Scooping
Taste Test: top 6 salsas for summer.
Making salsa at home is simple, and you can make it just as you like it: red or green, hot or mild, lots of or little cilantro, with a little fruit thrown in or simple tomato, smooth or extra-chunky… But there are some great jarred salsas on your supermarket shelves, handy to have in your refrigerator for a quick appetizer when unexpected guests knock at your door, to put on your morning eggs or to top tacos at dinner.
Most of you have a jar (or three…) of salsa in your refrigerator; it’s been several years since salsa sales (in dollars) surpassed ketchup. And since you can find just about anything in jarred salsas these days, odds are you’ll find a combination you really like. To put our test on even ground, we limited the field to plain, mild tomato salsa. Even that narrow classification left us testing more than 40 salsas to find our top 6.
Then we summoned our latest tasting panel, a group of six salsa fanatics: Robert, Robin and Ainaka, who usually go for sweeter fruit salsas; Teresa, who usually adds interest to purchased salsa with avocados or more spice; Victor, a spicy-salsa lover; and Meghan, who loves any and all salsas. Here’s what they had to say about their top three picks.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)