Healthy Tomato Recipes
- Tomato-Corn Pie
- Chicken, Charred Tomato & Broccoli Salad
- Corn & Tomato Pizzas
- Raw Tomato Sauce
- Roasted Cod with Warm Tomato-Olive-Caper Tapenade
- Sauteed Green Beans & Cherry Tomatoes
- Skillet-Seared Tomatoes with Melted Gruyere
- Slow-Roasted Cherry Tomato Bruschetta
- Tomato & Green Olive Salsa
- Tomato & Smoked Mozzarella Sandwiches
- White Beans, Spinach & Tomatoes over Parmesan Toasts
- Summer Tomato, Onion & Cucumber Salad
What you get
A medium-size fresh tomato is an excellent source of vitamins A and C—and if you eat them in season, you’ll get twice as much vitamin C as when they’re not. Tomatoes also contain the red pigment lycopene, which helps prevent some types of cancer, particularly prostate cancer.
- Shopping Tips
- You may have noticed a huge difference between local summer tomatoes and the ones available year-round in supermarkets. You’re not imagining it—many commercial tomatoes are picked green (but technically mature) and ripened with ethylene gas in a controlled environment. So when you see the first crop of in-season, vine-ripened jewels, scoop them up and don’t stop until their season’s over!
- Look for well-shaped tomatoes with uniform color, no green on the “shoulders” and a texture that’s not soft, but yields slightly to firm hand pressure.
- Size is not a good indicator of quality, so don’t think that you have to find the biggest tomatoes to get the best flavor.
- Storage Tip
- Storage will depend on how ripe your tomatoes are when you buy them, as they continue to ripen as they sit. Leave tomatoes at room temperature away from sunlight until they are perfectly ripe, and enjoy!
A member of the same family as deadly nightshade, the tomato was believed to be poisonous by early Americans. Its popularity in the U.S. is often attributed to Thomas Jefferson, who grew fond of eating tomatoes during his time in Paris.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)