Healthy Rhubarb Recipes
- Chunky Apple-Rhubarb Sauce with Dried Cranberries
- Stewed Rhubarb with Orange
- Duck & Strawberry Salad with Rhubarb Dressing
- Meringue-Topped Strawberries & Rhubarb
- Roast Pork with Sweet Onion-Rhubarb Sauce
- Rhubarb Crisp
- Rhubarb-Orange Crepes
- Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake
- Rhubarb-Vanilla Compote
- Rhubarb Waffles with Rhubarb Sauce
- Spice-Rubbed Game Hens with Rhubarb-Date Chutney
- Strawberry-Rhubarb Bread Pudding
- Strawberry-Rhubarb Strudel
What you get
Low in calories and full of fiber, potassium and vitamin C, rhubarb also contains catechin, a flavonol that may contribute to heart health.
- Shopping Tips
- The two most commonly found varieties of rhubarb are Victoria, characterized by a green stalk with red shading, and Cherry, as red as the name suggests. One might assume that the red stalks are sweeter, but some of the greener varieties actually have higher sugar contents.
- Look for bright, crisp stalks with minimal pitting, dryness and other visible damage.
- Storage Tips
- Rhubarb, like other leafy green plants, is highly perishable and susceptible to water loss, so extended storage is unfortunately not possible. Keep it under refrigeration for a week or two if you want to use it fresh, or freeze it if you want to have the summer taste all through the year.
- You can freeze rhubarb raw, or blanch the stalks in boiling water for 1 minute and chill thoroughly before packing and freezing.
- Freeze in a plastic freezer bag or airtight container, leaving an inch of empty space at the top of the container.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)