Healthy Potato Recipes
- Roasted New Potatoes & Green Beans
- Braised Fennel with Tomatoes & Potatoes
- Crispy Potatoes with Spicy Tomato Sauce
- Bacon Mashed Potatoes
- Loaded Twice-Baked Potatoes
- Oven "Fries"
- Pea & New Potato Salad (Nye kartofler og Ærte Salat)
- Salt & Vinegar Roasted Potatoes
- Artichoke & Potato Gratin
- Spicy Stewed Potatoes & Spinach with Buttermilk (Aloo chaas)
- Steak & Purple-Potato Salad
What you get
Rich in carbohydrate, vitamin C and potassium, the potato often gets a bad rap because it is a high-glycemic food. However, the potato offers some fiber, especially when eaten with the skin on, and has a place in a healthful eating plan.
- Shopping Tips
- Potatoes are classified by the texture of their flesh:
- Waxy potatoes, like red skins and fingerlings, have moist, dense flesh and keep their shape when cooked, so choose them for salads and soups.
- Mealy potatoes (also called baking or floury potatoes), such as russets, have drier, starchier flesh, perfect for baking and mashing.
- All-purpose potatoes, like white and Yukon Gold potatoes, are in between the other two kinds, so they function well in most recipes.
- Look for firm potatoes that are free of soft spots. Avoid potatoes that have begun to sprout—they have been stored too long.
- Storage Tips
- Potatoes should never be refrigerated. Store them in a cool, dark place with good air circulation, to discourage softening, sprouting and spoiling.
- If potatoes begin to sprout during storage but are still firm, remove the sprouts and any eyes that are beginning to sprout before eating.
- Potatoes may turn green when exposed to light; peel any green skin away before preparing.
- Properly stored, potatoes will keep 10 to 12 weeks.
- Small, thin-skinned potatoes and new potatoes should be used within a few days.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)