Healthy Cucumber Recipes
- Chile-Crusted Scallops with Cucumber Salad
- Creamy Cucumber Soup
- Cucumber & Black-Eyed Pea Salad
- Cucumber Raita
- Iced Cucumber-Lemon Soup
- Japanese Cucumber Salad
- Quick Pickles
- Salmon with Cucumbers & Dill
- Salmon & Cucumber Mini Smørrebrød (Smørrebrød med Røget Laks og Agurker)
- Tropical Cucumber Salad
- Healthy Cucumber Recipes and Cooking Tips
- Healthy Summer Recipes and Menus
What you get
While the cucumber isn’t known as a nutrition powerhouse, it does provide a small amount of fiber, minerals and vitamins—particularly vitamin C (about 6 percent of the Daily Value per cup).
- Shopping Tip
- The English or European greenhouse cucumber, often sheathed in plastic wrap to protect its very thin skin, and the American slicing cucumber, which has a slightly thicker skin and more seeds, are the most common. Don’t overlook other varieties like the pickling cucumber (a.k.a. kirby) and Middle Eastern slicer. There’s even a “burpless” variety of cuke. Whichever variety you choose, be sure to select firm cucumbers that feel heavy for their size. Avoid those that have any yellow on them or have soft or wrinkled spots at the ends, a sign of improper storage.
- Storage Tip
- Store cucumbers in a ventilated plastic bag in the crisper of your refrigerator.
A 2000 study published in HortTechnology measured the burp potential of three different cuke varieties. Over three consecutive days, judges were given an undisclosed variety of cucumber and then were instructed to rate the burpiness level on a scale of zero (no burpiness whatsoever) to nine (extreme burpiness). Judges gave the oriental trellis, often marked as a burpless cucumber, a rating of 1, while the American slicer received quite a different burp report, scoring between a 3 and a 3.5.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)