Healthy Corn Recipes
- Avocado-Corn Salsa for Two
- Roasted Corn Cheese Dip
- Banana Corn Fritters
- Coconut Creamed Corn
- Corn with Bacon & Mushrooms
- Grilled Steak with Fresh Corn Salad
- Macque Choux
- Mexican Grilled Corn
- Rice & Corn Cakes with Spicy Black Beans
- Roasted Corn with Basil-Shallot Vinaigrette
- Smoky Corn & Black Bean Pizza
- Southwestern Corn & Black Bean Salad
- Spaghetti with Clams & Corn
What you get
Although classified as a vegetable by the USDA, corn is actually a grain. Like other whole grains it is high in complex carbohydrates. Corn contains some protein and fiber and provides some potassium and vitamin C, plus a variety of trace minerals.
- Shopping Tips
- The best way to buy corn is in the husk, which protects the kernels from dry air and also tells you how fresh the corn is. Moist green husks are clearly fresher than dry brown ones. The tassel (silky strings at the tip) should be golden brown; a pale tassel is an indication that the corn was picked too early.
- Rather than peeling back the husk to check for freshness—this can dry out the corn—feel around through the husk for plump, resilient kernels.
- And most important, take the corn home immediately; don’t let it sit in a hot car.
- One medium ear of corn yields approximately 1⁄2 cup fresh kernels.
- Storage Tips
- If you can’t eat your corn right away, refrigerate it, with the husks left on, in a plastic bag, and cook within 2 days.
- The sooner you can eat corn after purchase, the sweeter it will be, as the sugar in corn begins converting into starch as soon as it’s picked.
Farmers grow corn on every continent except Antarctica.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)