Healthy Kale Recipes
- Download a FREE Kale Recipe Cookbook!
- Braised Greens & Cannellini Bean Panini
- Pancetta & Greens Frittata
- Kale Chips
- Hearty Kale Salad
- Green Smoothie
- Arctic Char on a Bed of Kale
More Healthy Kale Recipes
What you get
Kale is low in calories, at just 36 per cup (cooked), but rich in vitamin A, vitamin C and manganese. It is also a good source of vitamins B1, B2, B6 and E—as well as calcium, copper, iron, lutein and zeaxanthin.
- Shopping Tip
- How to Buy Kale: Look for richly colored, firm greens with moist stems and no signs of browning or small holes. If you’re turned off by the inherent bitterness of dark, leafy greens, choose bunches of smaller-sized leaves for a more sweet and tender product. There are many varieties of kale available on the market; the standard curly variety will probably be the most bitter; their colors range from green to deep purple. Try red Russian or the blue-green Dinosaur variety (also called lacinato) if you are looking for something a little sweeter.
- Storage Tip
- How to Store Kale: Store unwashed and wrapped in damp paper towels in the refrigerator with plenty of air flow for 2 to 3 weeks, and keep away from ethylene-producing fruits and vegetables (bananas, apples, melons, etc.) that can damage the leaves. When you’re ready to use kale, soak in cold water for 10 minutes if it looks dry, then remove the hard center rib by folding the leaves in half and slicing down along the edge of the stalk.Social clubs in northwestern Germany take "kale tours" in January, visiting country inns to consume large quantities of kale, sausage and schnapps. Kale’s sharp, peppery flavor is best balanced by a touch of acidity or sweetness.
Social clubs in northwestern Germany take "kale tours" in January, visiting country inns to consume large quantities of kale, sausage and schnapps. Kale’s sharp, peppery flavor is best balanced by a touch of acidity or sweetness.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)