The Divided Plate
What does a healthy eating pattern look like?
One simple formula is the "Divide Your Plate" strategy:
- Imagine a dinner plate and divide it in half.
- Fill one half with vegetables.
- Fill one quarter with lean protein, such as fish, skinless poultry, lean beef, beans or tofu.
- Fill the other quarter with a grain-based or starchy side dish, preferably a whole grain like brown rice, whole-wheat pasta or a slice of whole-grain bread.
What this method lacks in precision, it more than makes up for in good sense. If you focus on making most of your meals look this way, you’ll automatically follow sound nutrition guidelines and choose appropriate portions without having to pull out a nutrition guide or a measuring cup.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)