10 Steps to Water-Bath Canning
• Canning jars with lids.
• Large pot with a tight-fitting lid: either a boiling-water canning pot with a wire canning rack or a large, deep Dutch oven plus a round, metal cooling rack that fits into it. The wire rack helps prevent the jars from breaking.
• Flexible, nonreactive spatula (rubber or plastic) for releasing any air bubbles trapped in the preserves. (Trapped air bubbles may cause damage to the jars.)
• Canning funnel to make filling jars easier.
• Jar lifter to safely move jars in and out of the hot water bath.
• Lid wand (with a magnetic tip) to help remove lids from hot water.
CANNING RESOURCES: Home canning equipment, like the set pictured left, is available in hardware stores and online at amazon.com and canningpantry.com ($43-60).
Next: Step 1 & 2 »