How to Make Popcorn Balls
"Pop(corn) Art," September/October 2011
Enjoy this healthy recipe for popcorn balls with mix-and-match flavors.
More Festive Party Recipes
Halloween Party Recipes
Whether you’re having a few old friends over to watch football or entertaining a three-foot-tall ghost on Halloween, give them something good to eat. Ditch the Milk Duds and whip up a platter of delectable, wholesome popcorn balls. With a bevy of interesting add-ins—from dried tart cherries to crystallized ginger—your treats will have no trouble playing dress-up!
EatingWell Popcorn Balls
MAKES: 12 (2-inch) balls
ACTIVE TIME: 20 minutes | TOTAL: 20 minutes
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. Fill a bowl with ice water. Put 6 heaping cups popped corn in a large bowl.
2. Cook the STICKY MIXTURE of your choice (see below).
3. Immediately stir the mixture into the popcorn until well coated. Gently stir in 1/4 cup finely chopped ADD-INS, if using (see below).
4. Dip both hands in the ice water. Quickly and firmly press the popcorn mixture into 2-inch balls. Roll in or sprinkle with 1/4 cup ROLL-INS, if using (see below), while still a little damp and sticky. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
5. To store, individually wrap in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container.
Go "all-natural" or keep it classic:
Combine 1/4 cup each agave nectar (or honey) and room-temperature creamy natural peanut butter in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. As soon as the mixture starts to bubble, cook, stirring constantly, for 15 seconds more. Proceed with Step 3 (above).
Combine 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar, 1/4 cup reduced-calorie light corn syrup and 2 tablespoons unsalted butter in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. As soon as the syrup starts to bubble, cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar is melted and the mixture darkens, about 2 minutes. Proceed with Step 3 (above).
Stud with ADD-INS:
Pretzels, regular or chocolate-covered
Coat with ROLL-INS:
Unsweetened coconut flakes
Finely chopped nuts
Toasted sesame seeds
Finely ground granola
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)