Making good food choices, eating appropriate portions and following some simple guidelines will help you achieve your weight-loss goals.
- Picture a dinner plate and divide it in half.
- Fill one half with vegetables and divide the other half into two quarters.
- Fill one quarter with lean protein, such as fish, skinless poultry, lean beef, beans or tofu.
- Fill the other quarter with a grain-based or starchy side dish, preferably a whole grain like brown rice, whole-wheat pasta or a slice of whole-grain bread.
If you focus on making most of your meals look this way, you’ll automatically be following healthy eating guidelines and choosing appropriate portions—without having to pull out a calorie counter or a measuring cup every time.
Remember these 6 tips for eating well:
- Select a variety of foods in sensible portions.
- Consider no food either a magic bullet or a forbidden fruit.
- Choose whole foods over processed ones as often as possible.
- Embrace vegetables, fruits, beans and whole grains.
- Include low-fat dairy products, fish and shellfish, lean meats and poultry.
- Use herbs, spices and small amounts of olive oil and the other “healthy fats” to make food tastier, healthier and more satisfying.