Fold Packets in 8 Easy Steps
Steaming food in the oven in folded packets of parchment paper (or foil) is a great way to keep food juicy and tender. As the food heats up in the packet, it creates steam, which gently cooks the food and prevents it from drying out. Follow these easy step-by-step instructions for making packets for the oven. Or, if you’re grilling, check out our tips on making foil packets for the grill.
1. Start with four 20- to 24-inch-long pieces of parchment paper or foil. Fold in half crosswise.
2. With the parchment or foil folded, draw half a heart shape on one side as you would if you were making a Valentine.
3. Use scissors to cut out the heart shape.
4. Open up the heart.
5. Arrange the ingredients on one side of the heart fairly close to the crease. Leave at least a 1-inch border around the edges for folding.
6. Close the packet to cover the ingredients.
7. Starting at the top, seal the packet by folding the edges together in a series of small, tight folds.
8. Twist the tip of the packet and tuck it underneath to help keep the packet closed.
To make foil packets for the grill:
Cooking in packets is great for the grill, but it’s not safe to put parchment paper over an open flame, so use foil.
To prepare packets for grilling, start with eight 20- to 24-inch-long pieces of foil. Layer two sheets for each of four packets (the double layers will help protect the contents from burning). Arrange the ingredients on one half of each double layer. Fold the foil over the ingredients and tightly seal the packets by crimping and folding the edges together.
For grilling times, see the “Grill Variation” at the end of each recipe. When cooking packets on the grill, rotate them to another spot on the grill about halfway through to ensure even cooking.