Smart Swaps to Make Healthier Salad Dressings
Cut back on fat without losing flavor by using these ingredients instead.
No doubt, store-bought dressings are super-convenient, but making your own doesn’t have to be complicated or time-consuming. Most dressings rely on a simple oil-and-vinegar combo that you can dress up in numerous ways with fresh herbs or spices.
As an added benefit, making your own salad dressings allows you to choose high-quality, healthful ingredients. Smart choices include using heart-healthy oils like canola and olive oil for vinaigrette-based dressings and opting for low-fat Greek yogurt or reduced-fat sour cream in place of higher-fat mayonnaise and sour cream. Try these healthful swaps too:
Smart swaps for healthier salad dressings:
Instead of sour cream, try nonfat plain yogurt, or equal parts low-fat yogurt and no-salt-added low-fat cottage cheese. Low-fat Greek yogurt adds tang to creamy dressings—try making a creamy blue cheese-tarragon dressing next time you’re craving store-bought blue-cheese dressing.
Instead of crème fraîche, try whisking low-fat sour cream and nonfat plain yogurt together. You’ll get the same tangy, smooth flavor with less saturated fat.
Instead of full-fat mayonnaise, look for nonfat mayo or try nonfat yogurt, reduced-fat sour cream or buttermilk to get a rich taste without the added fat.
Instead of full-fat cheese, try the nonfat or low-fat version of your favorite varieties. Full-flavored cheeses like extra-sharp Cheddar or Parmesan may also help you keep portion sizes realistic; the strong flavor means you’ll get more flavor for less cheese. That means less saturated fat and fewer calories, too.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)