How to Shop for GE-Free Food
3 tips for finding food that isn't genetically engineered.
"I'm surprised that you don't mention the PLU codes on fresh produce. 4 digits means its conventionally grown; a 9 in front of the 4-digit code means its organically grown; an 8 in front of the 4-digit code means GE. http://www.plucodes....
Non-GMO Label. Started at a natural-foods store in Berkeley, California, in 2003, the Non-GMO (genetically modified organisms) Project has grown to include certification and labeling of more than 900 products and, according to a Nielsen report, was the fastest-growing health and wellness claim on store brands in 2009 (gluten-free was No. 2). Last October, more than 580 stores (including Whole Foods, which is certifying its “365 Everyday Value” brand as Non-GM) participated in a Non-GMO month highlighting the label. Keep in mind: Non-GMO does not mean a product is organic.Next: rBST-free or rbGH-free »
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)