How to Shop for GE-Free Food
3 tips for finding food that isn't genetically engineered.
"I'm surprised that you don't mention the PLU codes on fresh produce. 4 digits means its conventionally grown; a 9 in front of the 4-digit code means its organically grown; an 8 in front of the 4-digit code means GE. http://www.plucodes....
USDA Certified Organic Seal. USDA Certified Organic specifies that foods must be produced without the use of antibiotics, synthetic hormones, genetic engineering and other excluded practices, sewage sludge or irradiation. For livestock, that means that the feed must be organic as well. The USDA inspects and monitors this seal. Watch out for products, though, that say they “contain organic ingredients”—there’s no guarantee that all ingredients in them are organic.Next: Non-GMO Label »
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)