Visit Rancho La Puerta
By Jessie Price
A Stay at the Rancho La Puerta
Rancho La Puerta opened its cooking school, La Cocina Que Canta (The Kitchen That Sings), in 2007, right next to a six-acre organic garden that supplies much of the fresh produce for the Ranch and the school. School director Antonia Allegra said the plan from the start was “to teach guests the connection between the garden, cooking and eating.” Learn more about Rancho La Puerta.
Getting there: Rancho La Puerta is located in Tecate, Mexico, which is about an hour’s drive from the San Diego airport.
Staying there: Ranch visits are typically from Saturday to Saturday. Rooms are spread over the 3,000-acre campus and are in “casitas,” small cottages nestled among the gardens. | cost: Rates range from $2,795 to $4,380 a week per person, depending on type of room and time of year.
Rates include accommodations, all meals, fitness classes, hikes and lectures.
Cooking school: Book a hands-on cooking class at La Cocina Que Canta to learn how to make the signature, mostly vegetarian, Mexican-Mediterranean cuisine of the Ranch. Classes cost an additional $75 each.
For more information visit rancholapuerta.com.
Bringing Healthy Home
Here are some of the innovative ways other spas around the country are helping guests bring healthy lessons home with them:
- Miraval in Tucson and Canyon Ranch (Tucson and western Massachusetts) offer personalized nutrition consultations. The first session with a nutritionist determines what a guest’s personal goals are, anything from meal planning or maximizing metabolism to providing help on how to make 30-minute meals.
- Lake Austin Spa Resort in Texas offers guided trips through the local Whole Foods Market with their staff dietitian to learn about organic produce and making smart choices at the market.
- Nutritionists at Fitness Ridge in Utah teach guests about portion control, eating mindfully and reading labels. On the last day of a weeklong stay, the nutritionists accompany guests to a local restaurant where they weigh in on the meals that guests select from a buffet.
- Green Mountain at Fox Run in Vermont makes sure guests have support after they leave the spa. Staff dietitians follow up with guests over the phone. They also offer online bulletin boards where spa alumnae share tips and support.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)