How Misty May-Treanor, 2012 Olympic Hopeful, Eats to Win
The world’s fastest, fittest athletes are competing in the summer Games, but what fuels their power? We talked to Misty May-Treanor, 34, a beach volleyball player and two-time Olympic medalist, about how she eats to win.
What’s your favorite power food?
Misty May-Treanor: My favorite power food is Greek yogurt and honey. Before soccer games when I was little, my dad would make me have a spoonful of bee pollen and honey. He told me it would give me energy.
Do you have a sort of food mantra or philosophy that guides your eating?
Misty May-Treanor: The more colorful the food, the better. I try to add color to my diet, which means vegetables and fruits. If I need the sugar or something my body is craving, I’m not one to steer away from eating it.
Why do you think cooking is so relaxing for you?
Misty May-Treanor: I think it’s because I’m being creative and putting my own little touch on it and I’m just really thinking about what I’m doing at that time and not 30 other little things.
Photo: Courtesy Fédération Internationale de Volleyball
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)