The List: November/December 2009
Help a garden grow by sending a virtual seed—tomato, basil, carrot or radish—to a friend (go to woodbridgewines.com/garden).
For every “e-seed,” Woodbridge by Robert Mondavi will donate $1 to the American Community Gardening Association’s Giving Through Growing Program to fund seminars on creating community gardens.
Entertain with style while staying within your budget.
In her newest book, Simply Stunning Parties at Home (Stewart, Tabori & Chang, 2009), Karen Bussen offers tips to make entertaining at home elegant, affordable and stress-free. See her expertise in action in our “Make-Ahead Magic” story.
Remind yourself to eat more fruit, hit the gym regularly or write to your niece by signing up for “a hassling” at hassleme.co.uk.
Type in what you want to be reminded about, how often and where to e-mail it and they’ll nag you at semi-unpredictable intervals. Say so long to the string on your finger!
Make delicious dishes that are diabetes-friendly, such as our Classic Lasagna, during American Diabetes Month (November).
See more recipes and our new diabetes meal plan (28 days of recipes picked by our nutrition staff).
Volunteer on a farm.
Thinking about your vacation next year? Consider volunteering on an organic farm. World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms (WWOOF, wwoof.org) helps you find a farm, stateside or abroad, and a farmer to host you in exchange for your volunteering. The first step? Become a WWOOF member (U.S. $20; prices vary) and you’ll gain access to its farm directory.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)