3 Easy Ways to Balance Your Diet
By EatingWell Editors, "Balance Your Diet," EatingWell In Season: The Farmers' Market Cookbook (2009)
Simple tips for healthy eating every day.
More Healthy Recipes
Recipes Fresh from the Farmers’ Market
Recipes from the Mediterranean Diet
Side Dish Recipes for Whole Grains
Low-Calorie Dinners Packed with Produce
Diet Meal Plans
2. Calculate your calories.
Eating a balanced diet means not only getting enough of specific nutrients, such as vitamin C and beta carotene, but also eating the right number of calories for your size.
The following equation will help you determine the number of calories you need to maintain your current weight.
Your body weight X 12 = __________
Subtract 500 calories from this number to lose 1 pound per week. To lose 2 pounds per week, subtract 1,000. If you calculate a calorie target that’s less than 1,200, set your calorie goal at 1,200. For more help on losing weight healthfully, check out The EatingWell Diet.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)