I made this tonight and thought it was fantastic! I made a few changes though (because I always do):
- coconut oil instead of canola for health benefits
- 3 cloves of garlic instead of 2 (everything needs more garlic!)
- Wegmans brand veggie ground instead of beef (vegetarian)
- vegetable stock instead of chicken (vegetarian)
- added a habanero to the sauce (I like spicy, next time I'll add 2!)
- added 1/4c cilantro to the sauce
- added juice from 1/2 lime to sauce
- added 1tsp hot chili powder to beans
- added other 1/2 of lime juice to beans
- added 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to beans
- made it a casserole by using 12 tortillas instead of 16, and layered it 1/2c sauce, 6 quartered tortillas, 1/2 beans, 1/2 sauce, 6 quartered tortillas, 1/2 beans, 1/2 sauce, all cheese
- used about 1/2 cheddar 1/2 jack cheese as I had some cheddar I wanted to use up!
I realize that is a fair amount of changes, but other than the reduction in the number of tortillas, it didn't change the calories or nutritional content much! I will definitely make this again. The tomatillo sauce is SO good. I've never cooked with tomatillos before, but apparently I love them. I might actually put the tomatoes in the food processor too, though that won't really change anything but texture. I'm not a huge fan of mushrooms, but I didn't even notice them in this. They added a meaty texture and flavor, without adding more meat (or fake meat in my case)!