EatingWell Blogs (Page 262)
For years I’ve toyed with the idea of going vegetarian—to better both my health and the environment. Right now my refrigerator is full of amazing summer produce, so my fiancé, Andy, and I eat meat-free meals a few days a week. But I’ve never gone completely meatless, even though I’d like to try. So you can imagine how thrilled I was when EatingWell launched this vegetarian meal plan—28 days of delicious meat-free meals, no planning necessary. It’s easy to use: just pick your calorie level and voilà!— breakfast, lunch, dinner and a snack planned for nearly a month.
(If a month’s worth of easy, delicious meals isn’t enough of a reason to try eating vegetarian,...read full post »
TAGS: Brierley Wright
A good melon can be downright magical. This week I bought a cantaloupe and I’m greeted with its heady fragrance each time I open the fridge. My husband and I love melons so much we’ve been known to devour an entire, perfectly ripe cantaloupe in one sitting. At farmers’ markets I'm discovering other melon varieties, too, like canary and galia. Here are tips about five of my favorite melon varieties and recipes to enjoy them in. Get more recipes for melons and other fresh summer produce from EatingWell.
Cantaloupes have bright orange, firm, sweet flesh. These round melons have tan netting over yellow/green background. Try it in: Thai-Style Melon & Beef Salad
Cut into...read full post »
When I was a teenager I wouldn’t be caught dead eating a salad. Salad was just a pile of lettuce, maybe a cucumber, and some croutons—boring! Apparently I didn't know how great a salad could really be. In college I started paying more attention to my health and began eating more salads. I moved beyond cucumber and added lots of different healthy low-cal vegetables, I whisked up delicious dressings and added a little lean protein to keep me satisfied. Boring salads were a thing of the past.
Working in the EatingWell Test Kitchen, I’ve helped develop some salad recipes that are anything but ordinary, including our 7 Simple Summer Salad Recipes.
Here are four of my favorite salads. These...read full post »
When I planned my first garden a few years ago, I asked my friend Jessica for advice on how much of each vegetable I should plant. She said very matter-of-factly, “Only plant two summer squash seeds. If both grow into plants, you rip one out.” I thought she was crazy. One plant? I had so many delicious summer squash recipes that I wanted to try.
I ignored her advice and planted six. All six survived—and produced prolifically. I was completely overwhelmed with fresh squash, as were my friends, who by the end of the summer politely declined my continuous offers of free squash.
This year, I followed my friend’s advice so my crop is more manageable. But if you have any extra check out the cooking tips below or send them my way and I’ll try them in these...read full post »
Is organic food more nutritious than food produced via conventional methods? As a nutrition editor for EatingWell magazine, it’s my job to stay up on the studies that look at this very question. On July 29 researchers from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine reported that there was no nutritional difference between organic and conventionally produced foods. End of story? I don’t think so. Some studies show organics are more nutritious.
Consider these findings:
- A 2008 review by the Organic Center of almost 100 studies on the nutritional quality of organic produce compared the effects conventional and organic farming methods have on specific nutrients. The report’s conclusion: “Yes, organic plant-based foods are, on average, more nutritious.”
- In 2007 a study out of Newcastle University in the United...
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- 5 “bad” foods you should be eating (331 comments)
- The #1 food you should eat (and probably don't) (211 comments)
- How to pickle anything (no canning necessary) (125 comments)
- 3 reasons you should snack on popcorn (124 comments)
- 3 reasons you should reach for canola oil when you’re cooking (102 comments)
- What’s Fresh: Is corn healthy or not? (99 comments)
- The best breakfast foods for weight loss (78 comments)
- How to make a healthy smoothie: best smoothie ingredients & 10 to ditch (76 comments)
- Is Coconut Oil Healthier Than Butter? (76 comments)
- Trying to save money? 15 foods you don’t need to buy organic (72 comments)