Nicci Micco's Blog (Page 18)
I know as well as anyone that dietary slips often have a domino effect. For example, I’m most likely to crave ice cream after eating several pieces of cheesy pizza. After I indulge the craving, the guilt sets in. Then, I have to remind myself that one less-than-perfect moment will not undo my week of cooking delicious low-cal recipes.
Beating yourself up when you don’t eat as well as you’d like to won’t help you to manage your weight. In fact, it may even get in the way. So stop it! Be nice to yourself. Need some help remembering how to do that? Here are ways to stay positive about weight loss.
Get the recipe:...read full post »
I love those stretches when my eating is nearly picture-perfect: yogurt and berries for breakfast, salads for lunch, fish for dinner; plus, plenty of water and a couple of healthy snacks in between. (You know what I’m talking about, right?)
But inevitably something—like the candy dish at work—breaks my stride. On my way to a meeting, I’ll help myself to a few peanut M&Ms. On my way back from the printer, I’ll snag another handful. And so it goes. Before I know it, I’ve easily eaten more than a serving. Ick.
In the past, this sort of unplanned eating might have led me to throw in the towel for the day and just eat whatever I wanted and as much of it as I liked. But now I know...read full post »
Going to a movie before dinner is a recipe for diet disaster. I used to end up sharing a large (translation: humongous) popcorn with my husband and sneaking some of his Sour Patch Kids to boot. I left the theater feeling full but hadn’t eaten any “real” food. Now, before I go to a show, I try to have a dinner with plenty of lean protein and fiber to keep me satisfied, such as Seared Steak Salad with Edamame & Cilantro. Then I’m not ravenous at the movie and I’m content to split a small popcorn. It took a little trial and error to find a healthy-eating solution but it’s one that works!
Get the recipe:...read full post »
I love parties but I find it hard to keep my eating in check when I'm on the social circuit. So when the invites start pouring in, I follow these four tricks to party my way thin:
1. Eat what you want the most. Birthday-party buffets and potlucks are totally tempting. Rather than diving right in, I try to survey the offerings and decide on one or two “must-haves.” Then I fill the rest of my plate with veggies.
2. Bring a dish. People generally appreciate it if you offer to bring something and this also allows you to bring something that’s healthy. I’m not talking “diet” foods, such as celery and carrots, but rather something that you know others will enjoy too. I often bring...read full post »
TAGS: Nicci Micco
When you first start trying to lose weight, the pounds seem to come off easily. You’re motivated, you’re careful to stick with smaller portions and you’re good about keeping track of everything you eat. But, eventually, your rate of weight loss slows and then… stops. Is this the beginning of the end? NO! It’s the beginning of the second phase of your weight-loss journey.
Why not try some of my 4 secrets for kick-starting your diet:
1. Don’t deprive yourself! Denying yourself favorite foods usually ends up backfiring. Budget in satisfying treats that come in discrete units, such as Chocolate-Dipped Gingersnaps (157 calories for...read full post »
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)