Marion Nestle's Blog (Page 1)
• It has brought childhood obesity to public attention, as never before.
• The choice of action areas—fixing school food and getting supermarkets into inner city food deserts—...
I've been asked repeatedly this week to comment on the huge press outcry about a study that links diet sodas to an increased risk of stroke and heart disease.
I have not seen the study and neither has anyone else. It is not yet published.
It was presented at the American Stroke Association's International Stroke Conference 2011. The American Heart Association has a short summary on its website. And Rosie Mestel has an excellent...
The 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans were just released. Here are the take-home messages:
• Enjoy your food, but eat less.
• Avoid oversized portions.
Foods to Increase
• Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
• Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1 percent) milk.
Michael Taylor, Deputy Commissioner for Food at the Food and Drug Administration and long a proponent of food safety, gave a speech on January 27 outlining the FDA's plans for implementing the new food safety law. [Editor's note: To read Taylor's past contributions to the Atlantic Food Channel, click here.]
He pointed out that the new law says:
• Food producers and processors must institute preventive controls.