Take our Meatless May Challenge and discover a delicious way to eat healthfully
By Kerri-Ann Jennings, April 22, 2011 - 1:29pm
Do you want what you eat to help you be healthier and feel better? To celebrate our new book EatingWell Fast & Flavorful Meatless Meals, we’re inviting you to join us for our Meatless May Challenge. The rules are simple—for one month, starting May 1, we’ll all find delicious new ways to enjoy beans, tofu, eggs, nuts, cheese and, of course, vegetables! You can eat anything you want except…meat, poultry and fish.
Don’t think you can go meatless for a whole month? Pick a path that works for you. Start by going meatless for just one day, a week or maybe just five days a week. Or choose to include fish. Or you may choose to exclude dairy or go vegan. Whatever route you choose, we’ll show you how to do it and get the nutrients you need and the flavors you crave.
We’re going to be taking the Meatless May Challenge here in the EatingWell offices—we’ll be posting blogs and pictures to share how it’s going behind the scenes. So why would you want to join us and go veggie for a month? It’s going to be fun and delicious, of course, but there are some health benefits to cutting back on meat too. Here are some of the compelling reasons:
• Eating meat can affect both how long you live and how well. A vegetarian diet may lower your risk of chronic conditions, including heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes. And—no surprise—people who cut meat from their diet tend to take in less saturated fat and cholesterol and get more fiber, vitamins C and E and heart-healthy unsaturated fat. Getting the recommended 6 to 9 daily servings of fruits and vegetables is a cinch when you take meat out of the equation.
• If the health benefits aren’t enough to convince you, consider that vegetarian diets are kinder to the planet. Livestock emissions contribute to global warming. And compared with growing vegetables, livestock require more land and resources including water, fertilizer, pesticides and fossil fuels.
• But perhaps the most important reason to join us for Meatless May is that we know how to make vegetarian eating delicious. We’ve been creating meatless recipes packed with bold, bright flavors for years. And we can’t wait to share them with you. Some of our favorites: sesame-maple tofu with snap peas, a no-fuss black bean quesadillas and creamy fettuccine with mushrooms.
Ready to Get Started?
• Check out our Meatless May Challenge page, which has everything you’ll need to take the challenge, from links to delicious vegetarian recipes to health information and FAQs, even a 28-day meal plan!
• Order a copy of our new book, EatingWell Fast & Flavorful Meatless Meals.
In veggies we trust,Your meatless team:
Jessie Price, Deputy Editor/Food
Kerri-Ann Jennings, Associate Editor/Nutrition
Why are you taking the Challenge? Tell us what you think below.