I’m bonkers for all the mushrooms, beef and creamy sauce in beef stroganoff. I could just bathe myself in it. OK…maybe not bathe. But how about bathe a bunch of egg noodles in the luscious sauce and then chow it down! That sounds like a serious comfort-food dinner to me and one that’s an easy crowd pleaser. Plus our recipe only takes 40 minutes start to finish.
Get the recipe: Beef & Portobello Mushroom Stroganoff
Our secrets to keeping it light are:
• We use flank steak, which is a relatively lean cut of beef.
• We make sauce with beef broth thickened with a little flour.
• Instead of heavy cream in the sauce, we just stir in a little reduced-fat sour cream at the end.
• The sauce is rich-tasting from a touch of cognac and plenty of portobello mushrooms.
• Serve over whole-wheat egg noodles, which have the added benefit of fiber.
What are your favorite comfort foods with beef? Tell us what you think below.
Tell us what you think:
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)