If I was stranded on a desert island and could eat only one food for the rest of my life, it would have to be potatoes. I never get tired of them. Apparently, neither does Oprah Winfrey. She’s been quoted as saying, “My idea of heaven is a great big baked potato and someone to share it with.”
Love her, and love potatoes—my ultimate comfort food. I’ve got plenty of great potato recipes to make the most of this versatile vegetable. And don’t let the low-carb craze deter you from enjoying potatoes. They’re high in potassium, vitamin C and offer fiber, too, especially when you eat them with their delicious skin.
Here are some of my favorite healthy potato recipes:
Loaded Twice-Baked Potatoes – Potatoes are one of the great comfort foods, especially when stuffed with a satisfying mixture of lean ground beef and broccoli florets plus reduced-fat sour cream and Cheddar cheese. Add a tossed salad and you have a healthy and hearty meal that will leave you feeling good.
Catfish & Potato Hash – Hash isn’t just for corned beef. It’s also great made with catfish—or other flaky white fish. Any ham adds flavor to the hash, but we think a higher-quality smoked ham will give you the biggest flavor-bang for your buck. Serve with a poached egg on top and a green salad.
Warm Chicken Sausage & Potato Salad – This super simple bistro-style salad is substantial with potatoes, arugula and chicken sausage.
Oven “Fries” – Coated with olive oil and baked in a hot oven, these fries are soft and buttery inside and crisp on the outside—the perfect combination.
What's your "heavenly" food? Tell us what you think below.
Tell us what you think:
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)