Margarita makeover: add this secret ingredient to make it healthier
By Penelope Wall, April 23, 2010 - 9:46am
Cinco de Mayo is just around the corner and I’ve been thinking about my party menu. I’ve got the main dishes covered but I know if I don’t serve margaritas at my Cinco de Mayo party, my friends will be bummed. I mean, what’s a fiesta without the “margies,” as my girlfriends and I endearingly call them?
But when I’m craving a tangy margarita, syrupy pre-made margarita mixers just won’t do. So I like to shake up cocktails and mocktails with healthy fruits and juices for a special twist. Blueberries in my margies? Why not? Blueberries give this classic drink fresh flavor and they’re a good source of fiber and an excellent source of vitamin C, plus they’re rich in the cancer-fighting antioxidants anthocyanins. (Get the EatingWell test kitchen’s tasty recipe for Blueberry-Lime Margaritas.)
Frozen limeade adds zing to this stellar blueberry margarita. For a nonalcoholic version, omit the tequila.
Not into margaritas? How dare you! Just kidding. Here are three more Mexican-inspired drinks and ices with fruit to serve at your Cinco de Mayo fiesta:
This thirst-quenching cocktail was said to be created by a bartender from Chihuahua, Mexico, in the 1940s.
Minted Lime Liquado
This bright-green nonalcoholic mint-lime cooler was inspired by the light fruit-and-ice shakes of Mexico.
This refreshing ice for grown-ups has all the flavors of a margarita. Whirling frozen fruits in a food processor is one of our favorite tricks for an instant dessert.
What drink recipes with fruit do you like to make? Tell us what you think below.
Tell us what you think:
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)