Holiday baking tip 4: Consider whole-grain flour
By Matthew Thompson, December 8, 2011 - 9:00am
Here’s a holiday baking conundrum: you want to keep things relatively nutritious, but every recipe you run across calls for refined, all-purpose white flour. What do you do?
The simple answer: you swap it out. Whole-wheat flour has almost four times more fiber than white flour and has more potassium, magnesium and zinc, resulting in instantly healthier treats. Try replacing some (or all) of the all-purpose flour with whole-wheat flour, whole-wheat pastry flour and/or oats. If you are used to the taste and texture of whole-wheat, some cookies are just as satisfying when made with 100% whole-wheat flour. Using whole-wheat flour in place of all-purpose flour gives your cookies about four times the amount of fiber in every batch.
For more delicate-textured cookies or if you are still getting used to the taste and texture of whole-wheat, try using more finely milled whole-wheat pastry flour or mild-flavored white whole-wheat flour in place of about half of the all-purpose flour—you’ll still get the added benefit of extra fiber without much wheat flavor.
Looking for some cookies that lend themselves to this wholesome technique? Here are a few types of cookies to try it on:
- Double Nut & Date Tassies
- Fig ’n’ Flax Thumbprint Cookies
- Orange Spice Molasses Cookies
- Pineapple Coconut Bites
- Ginger Crinkle Cookies
- Blueberry & White Chocolate Chunk Ginger Cookies
Holiday Cookie Swap
Want to lighten up your favorite Christmas cookie recipes? We’re kicking off the holiday baking season the first week in December by sharing prize-winning cookie recipes and tricks from our EatingWell Test Kitchen pros to make any cookie healthier but still taste great. Find everything you need for beautiful, healthy cookies here.
Do you bake with whole grains? Tell us what you think below.
Tell us what you think:
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)