I don’t care what the trendsetters say about whether cupcakes are hot or not, they are—and forever will be—my go-to dessert when I’m entertaining. They don’t take as long to bake and cool as a cake does. Plus decorating a cupcake is a lot less intimidating than decorating a cake—I just need to swipe on a dab of frosting rather than getting all artsy-fartsy with a layer cake. And, for whatever reason, if I’m seeking variety, preparing more than one kind of cupcake seems like a lot less work than baking and decorating two cakes. (Not Intimidated? Try: Banana Cream Layer Cake and More Light and Luscious Spring Cakes.)
Sure, it’s easy to stop at a bakery to pick up a dozen cupcakes. But when you look at the numbers, the calories and fat are kind of scary. You can practically have 2 homemade cupcakes for the amount of calories and fat you get in a single bakery cupcake! Plus when you make your own cupcakes, you can control the ingredients you put in (no artificial anything, and all ingredients you can pronounce) and make them more interesting and delicious (and healthy) if you add fruit or other flavorings to the batter. Lucky for all of us, EatingWell Test Kitchen Manager Stacy Fraser has used her secrets for baking healthier cupcakes to create some incredible, healthier-for-you cupcake recipes.
Here’s how homemade cupcakes stack up in terms of calories and fat when pitted against store-bought and bakery cupcakes.
Here’s Stacy’s recipe for Vanilla Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did!
More Delicious Dessert Recipes to Try:
How to Make Homemade Fruit Bars
Healthier Homemade Ice Creams, plus Yummy Stir-In Ideas
What’s your favorite cupcake flavor and icing combination?
Related Links from EatingWell:
- 4 Secrets for Better-Tasting (and Better-for-You) Pie Crust
- 12 Chef Secrets That Will Make You a Better Cook
- Ooey-Gooey Macaroni and Cheese and More Healthy Recipes from the EatingWell Test Kitchen
- Get a free trial issue when you subscribe to EatingWell Magazine and sign up for our free e-newsletters!
Tell us what you think:
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)