Wow, holy heavens this is WRONG.
Couscous is NOT BOILED it is STEAMED! Never, never boil the couscous with water this way.
Easiest way to steam without a couscoussiere...
1. take a pie tin and poke holes in the bottom
2. add 1 cup of couscous to the pie pan and rinse it, it will not fall through the holes, then allow it to sit for 10 minutes, soaking the water (you can add 1 teaspoon of salt, too.)
3. place on top of a sauce pan that is simmering your sauce on the stove and cover with another pan
and let steam for 10 to 15 minutes
4. take the pie pan off of the sauce pan and sprinkle 1/4 cup cold water, 1 tablespoon olive oil and more salt to taste. fluff this well and
5. return pie tin to top of sauce pan and steam for another 10 to 15 minutes.
6. fluff again
7. eat it
08/08/2014 - 8:53am
"You can’t just dump dry couscous into a pot of boiling water and drain it. Make sure you’re using the right water-to-couscous ratio, which is 1 cup water to 2/3 cup couscous." Why not? What will happen?
06/06/2014 - 2:52pm
Couscous is NOT pasta - it's cracked wheat!
05/25/2014 - 12:23pm
Finely dice celery and onion, fried with olive oil. Add chopped bacon and stir until well blended and bacon is cooked. Add to cooked couscous to serve as a hot pasta dish. Or can be served cold as a buffet salad.
01/25/2014 - 11:41am
I only heard of couscous Thursday or Friday during a special segment on noon news at WCYB- TV 5 Bristol, VA. with a specialist from Food City. I think I got some from a food pantry but I'm not sure. I thought it was corn meal. I haven't fixed any yet.
12/02/2013 - 11:23pm
Well this is going to be my first to cook couscous.
read the reviews and Paula Deen in her salad receipe I used 1 1/2 cups of water to 1 cups of couscous.
If I doing my math right, that- 1cup of water to 2/3 cup uncooked couscous or 1/12 cups of water to 1 cup of couscous. So for my 1st attempt I am sticking with Hilary's tip. Enjoyed reading everyone comments. Thank you! Wish me LUCK!
11/28/2013 - 2:03am
1 cup of water to 2/3 of coucous is a tad to much, the couscous will actually be clumpy. try 1 cup of water to 1 cup of couscous, for the perfect grainy texture that's its meant to have.
11/05/2013 - 10:01pm
1 cup of couscous
1 cup of broth (1/2 bouillon cube & 1cup of water)
1-2 tablespoons of minced onions
1/2 tbsp butter
1/2 tbsp olive oil
capers to taste (2 teaspoons or so)
cilantro (finely chopped) to taste
Sautee onion in butter/oil. Add broth & capers. Bring to a boil. Add couscous. Cover, remove from heat. Let sit for 5 minutes. Add cilantro & fluff with a fork.
10/12/2013 - 7:10pm
Dude, the ratio of couscous to water is one to one. Duh.