When I was writing about corn for the July/August issue of EatingWell Magazine, I decided to pose this question online: What do you want to know about corn?
My friend Lee pointedly asked, “Is corn even good for you?”
Good question. Is corn even good for you? Actually, it is, for two reasons.
Related Link: Find fiber-rich recipes to help you shed pounds.
First, corn is a starchy vegetable, and like other starchy vegetables (potatoes, peas) it contains fiber—in this case 4 grams per 1 cup of kernels, which is about 1 large ear. Eating enough fiber is important for helping to prevent chronic diseases like diabetes, heart disease and certain types of cancer. Research also suggests that consuming fiber-rich foods might boost weight loss by helping you to feel fuller after you eat.
Second, like most other yellow and green vegetables, corn is a good source of lutein and zeaxanthin, compounds that help keep your eyes healthy as you age. (Get 5 tips for healthier eyesight.)
So corn can be part of a healthy diet. And to answer another question that my friends asked: The corn that makes ethanol and high-fructose corn syrup is not the same corn you buy on the cob. (Find out if high-fructose corn syrup is really worse than sugar.) In fact, of the more than 94 million acres of corn grown in the U.S. in 2007, less than 1 percent of it was sweet corn, the kind that we eat. So support your local farmers and get it fresh from the field right now.
No one really seemed to have any questions about how to cook it—I guess we’re all fairly accustomed to that. (But I’ve included my new favorite recipe—Corn & Basil Cakes.)
What’s your favorite way to eat corn? Tell us what you think below.
Tell us what you think:
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- 5 “bad” foods you should be eating (331 comments)
- The #1 food you should eat (and probably don't) (211 comments)
- How to pickle anything (no canning necessary) (125 comments)
- 3 reasons you should snack on popcorn (124 comments)
- 3 reasons you should reach for canola oil when you’re cooking (102 comments)
- What’s Fresh: Is corn healthy or not? (99 comments)
- The best breakfast foods for weight loss (78 comments)
- Is Coconut Oil Healthier Than Butter? (76 comments)
- How to make a healthy smoothie: best smoothie ingredients & 10 to ditch (76 comments)
- Trying to save money? 15 foods you don’t need to buy organic (72 comments)