I buy almost 100% organic.My reason?
1) I try to avoid bringing pesticides into my home.
2) Cleaning/washing organic food takes a lot less time and uses much less water because I feel that any food exposed to pesticides requires much more careful and time-consuming cleaning.
3) I don't know what foods grown in foreign countries are exposed to
4) It is much better for the soil if pesticides are not used.
5) I avoid GMO foods by buying organic.
6) I want to support the organic movement
My first day at the organic store and I have to say organic is super expensive. spent 279.00 and only got fruits and veggies....any suggestions?
03/13/2012 - 7:08pm
What about "tomatoes" - organic or not organic??
03/10/2012 - 8:37pm
milk and meat
02/29/2012 - 10:54am
I was under the impression that anything underground or right on the surface was most likely to have pestiside, especially run-off. A little surprised that sweet potatoes would be recommended to be a conventional buy.
02/29/2012 - 9:55am
With a limited food budget, I do buy organic apples and greens
since the cantelope scare last summer, I dont buy any at all. my regular grocery store evens warns to clean cantelopes with a scrub brush to get in all the little ridges. that is way too much trouble, so I dont even bother. the only way I will buy them this season is at the local farmers market
02/26/2012 - 7:24pm
I would love to buy organic all the time but we are a big growing family and we cannot afford it.Certain items such as leafy veggies and "soft"fruits I will splurg on organic otherwise I rinse everything else in a solution of apple cider vineger and warm water and then rinse clear....hope one day everyone can afford to eat healthy pure foods....
02/26/2012 - 7:08pm
Organic does have an environmental down side - more land is required to farm organic, which increases total land use and agricultural sprawl. This is a smart approach - buy organic when health risks are more likely.
02/26/2012 - 6:05pm
Since corn is one of the top Genetically Modified Foods grown...I would want to buy that organic, unless they start labeling.