Healthy Hearts Challenge Tip 5: Wash Away Sodium
By Brierley Wright, February 2, 2012 - 1:09pm
To celebrate American Heart Month and our Healthy Hearts Challenge, every day this week we’re posting a quick tip to help you eat for a healthier heart. Here’s today’s tip:
Tip 5: Wash Away Sodium.
Most of the sodium in our diets—approximately 77%—comes from prepared or processed foods, but sometimes using convenience items, like canned beans and tuna, can make it easier to eat more healthfully. The good news: rinsing those canned foods will remove about 35 percent of their sodium. Also, when choosing processed foods, shop around. Comparing the sodium content for similar foods can save hundreds of milligrams of sodium.
For more Healthy Hearts Challenge tips, meal plans and recipes, visit the Healthy Hearts Challenge landing page.
Tell us what you think:
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)