Use! Americans waste WAY too much food. I always scrape off obvious mold (for taste purposes) and use the remainder, regardless of moisture within. Most people on most sites say, "toss." But, no one EVER states what it is that is bad about food-related mold for human consumption. I NEVER get ill. EVER. I am on food stamps and, to me, it is sacrilege to waste anything, if at all possible, especially based on non-scientific hearsay.
Most use-by dates and recipe recommendation for saving leftovers are a joke, based on the opinions of ignorant, spoiled, paranoid people. I have a good refrigerator that runs cold. I use broths made over a year before use. Simply boil for a few moments and you have perfect, aromatic, tasty broth as a base for soups, sauces, etc.
That said, I am open to any SCIENTIFIC facts regarding molds that form on well-refrigerated food.
Thank you for your efforts on keeping people informed.
02/01/2015 - 12:09am
I toss moldy food because there's no reason for me to eat it. I live an average lifestyle, never made over 26,000 a year (made up to 31,000 with overtime), but have always been able to get more food even if I have to go to a food pantry. I will not eat any food that doesn't look ripe or worth taking a chance on and for those who don't care...well, maybe they know more about the products than me. I won't even eat Sushi because it's raw meat and I don't trust raw meat.
11/22/2014 - 2:17am
i toss moldy food items
11/15/2014 - 11:00am
Great article; I shall treat moldy bread and soft fruits and vegetables with greater care.
10/04/2014 - 9:40pm
09/11/2014 - 3:50pm
My daughter told me to get rid of the raspberries and blackberries I had bought because of the mold. I had only had them one day. I thought they must be alright because the store sold them that way. So I ate some. Then I had awful stomach issues. I've thrown them out. Your article was very informative. The moral is look over the fruits very well before buying them.
07/25/2014 - 4:46pm
I ate moldy buns today cause I hate wasting...but they didn't taste that good
07/10/2014 - 10:06pm
the mold has come to kill the bacteria ,so yes, chuck it.however i dont worry if i eat a bit by mistake the mold kills germs on the food.but there are some toxic molds that grow in peanuts.
07/01/2014 - 3:35am
Yes, always. In fact I just threw away some moldy, furry cream cheese. Yuck!
06/27/2014 - 2:00am
Maybe I am lucky to be surviving. I have always eaten moldy cheese. Isn't blue cheese that color because of mold? Anyhow that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
I would like to see inputs from anybody who got sick from moldy cheese. Let's hear from you if you have?