Subscribe to RSS

4 moldy foods you can eat (plus which foods to toss)

By Brierley Wright, M.S., R.D., May 18, 2012 - 11:10am

  • Share

Brierley asks: Do you use or toss moldy food items?


Great article!


07/31/2016 - 2:36am

But at least you looked gorgeous dahling while sleeping!


07/24/2016 - 10:25pm

I usually use moldy bacon if its has white mold. However this package has red/pink mold on it - several slices down. Can I remove the affected slices and use those that appear clean?


07/10/2016 - 2:21pm

I'll eat moldy foods (usually removing the mold) if the food isn't totally covered, the food isn't meat (there are some sausage exceptions), and the mold is blue, green, or white. I won't touch mold (or bacteria) that is black, red, or yellow. I have definitely violated the USDA rules on yogurt, cream cheese, breads, etc.


04/29/2016 - 12:28pm

Always have and never had an ill effects. I remove a bit of mold off of jam, yogurt.


04/26/2016 - 5:16pm

Lol, oops. I've eaten a few foods off the Toss list... I usually lop off around an inch or more (I go with what *feels right*) around the mold and then do a smell test, and then a tip-of-the-tongue taste test. If it passes that I try a small bite and go from there.

Well, compared to my roomie who throws away everything the minute it hits the use by date, won't eat anything that ever heard of mold- I never get sick, and when I do it's not for long. =P

I'm not saying everyone should do the same thing as me, mostly because I don't wanna get sued. For all I know, I might just be a mutant and eating gross things without getting sick, and boosting my immune system is my superpower. XD


03/09/2016 - 11:12pm

could peachers that get a little sour in a light surrup make you sick?


03/09/2016 - 10:49pm

i do not toss my peach when they or sour in a light surup


03/09/2016 - 10:43pm

Ronald Reagan told about his mother getting sick and the doctor telling her to eat moldy cheese. She did and got well. Turned out, he said, that the mold was penicillin. And, as one commenter pointed out, the 'blue' in 'blue cheese' is mold.

Cheese and jams are the only things I'll eat after removing mold. Everything else gets tossed.

Observation: the FDA is so wrong about so many things, I wouldn't trust anything they say about what's safe and what isn't; especially not now when there are so many holistic/homeopathic web sites available to offer *good* information and advice.


02/15/2016 - 1:49pm



01/12/2016 - 10:09pm

Get a full year of EatingWell magazine.
World Wide Web Health Award Winner Web Award Winner World Wide Web Health Award Winner Interactive Media Award Winner