Advertisement

Subscribe to RSS

4 moldy foods you can eat (plus which foods to toss)

By Brierley Wright, M.S., R.D., May 18, 2012 - 11:10am

  • Share

Brierley asks: Do you use or toss moldy food items?

COMMENTS POSTEDsort icon

When I've waited too long to eat strawberries that my wife has cleaned and prepared, but not yet added sugar, they sometimes get moldy. I just toss them, mold and all, into our blender with an equal amount (or more) of crumbled graham crackers, a 6 ounce container of yogurt and make a smoothie. Yum! Yum!
ps My wife thinks I'm nuts and refuses to eat any ... so, more for me!!

Anonymous

04/18/2015 - 3:32pm

Dear Brierley,

Use! Americans waste WAY too much food. I always scrape off obvious mold (for taste purposes) and use the remainder, regardless of moisture within. Most people on most sites say, "toss." But, no one EVER states what it is that is bad about food-related mold for human consumption. I NEVER get ill. EVER. I am on food stamps and, to me, it is sacrilege to waste anything, if at all possible, especially based on non-scientific hearsay.

Most use-by dates and recipe recommendation for saving leftovers are a joke, based on the opinions of ignorant, spoiled, paranoid people. I have a good refrigerator that runs cold. I use broths made over a year before use. Simply boil for a few moments and you have perfect, aromatic, tasty broth as a base for soups, sauces, etc.

That said, I am open to any SCIENTIFIC facts regarding molds that form on well-refrigerated food.

Thank you for your efforts on keeping people informed.

Mr. Black

Anonymous

02/01/2015 - 1:09am

I toss moldy food because there's no reason for me to eat it. I live an average lifestyle, never made over 26,000 a year (made up to 31,000 with overtime), but have always been able to get more food even if I have to go to a food pantry. I will not eat any food that doesn't look ripe or worth taking a chance on and for those who don't care...well, maybe they know more about the products than me. I won't even eat Sushi because it's raw meat and I don't trust raw meat.

Anonymous

11/22/2014 - 3:17am

i toss moldy food items

Anonymous

11/15/2014 - 12:00pm

Great article; I shall treat moldy bread and soft fruits and vegetables with greater care.

RN

Anonymous

10/04/2014 - 10:40pm

Toss

Anonymous

09/11/2014 - 4:50pm

My daughter told me to get rid of the raspberries and blackberries I had bought because of the mold. I had only had them one day. I thought they must be alright because the store sold them that way. So I ate some. Then I had awful stomach issues. I've thrown them out. Your article was very informative. The moral is look over the fruits very well before buying them.

Anonymous

07/25/2014 - 5:46pm

I ate moldy buns today cause I hate wasting...but they didn't taste that good

Anonymous

07/10/2014 - 11:06pm

the mold has come to kill the bacteria ,so yes, chuck it.however i dont worry if i eat a bit by mistake the mold kills germs on the food.but there are some toxic molds that grow in peanuts.

Anonymous

07/01/2014 - 4:35am

Yes, always. In fact I just threw away some moldy, furry cream cheese. Yuck!

Anonymous

06/27/2014 - 3:00am

Get a full year of EatingWell magazine.
World Wide Web Health Award Winner Web Award Winner World Wide Web Health Award Winner Interactive Media Award Winner