Advertisement

Subscribe to RSS

4 moldy foods you can eat (plus which foods to toss)

By Brierley Wright, M.S., R.D., May 18, 2012 - 11:10am

  • Share

Brierley asks: Do you use or toss moldy food items?

COMMENTS POSTEDsort icon

I am 75 years old and grew up in a home where my Mom chopped off the bread mold until she found where it ended, then served us the rest. I have used this process my entire life and never gotten ill from it. Is removing the moldy area and eating the rest totally wrong?

Anonymous

09/07/2013 - 2:43pm

I enjoyed the reading and knowledge that i received about mold. It was really an eye-opener, i tend to throw away foods, veggies, etc. that has mold on them. The reason being that's how i was taught and i would, like to think that alot of others would do the same but as i got older, I ve learned that for some people that has an illness,sickness etc. that eating molded cheeses,breads,meats,veggies etc are helpful and HEALTHY to a certain extent for that person.

Anonymous

07/28/2013 - 9:07pm

I know of someone that ate a chicken leg off of a cooked rotisserie chicken, thing is that the chicken had been in the refridgerator for three months and there was mold on the other side of the chicken .....the house had been empty that long and the chicken had been a left over....I am worried about them getting worms or severly sick by this ...it has been 2 days now and they seem fine but I still worry......what should I do?? Please help email liv4urfamily@gmail.com please email

Anonymous

07/20/2013 - 9:26pm

Usually I toss it. Some times when it's a fruit with hard cover and is not fulll of fungi, I just cut the cover and a little more.

Anonymous

07/18/2013 - 2:25pm

I do use items that appear to be dense enough that mold would not penetrate. I just had some Monterey Jack that was completely enveloped in a fairly dry and hard , thin mold that I sliced off. the cheese was very dry and intense flavored ... actually a bit too salty (to eat plain). I have tried using jams or Spaghetti sauce by removing a thick portion below the mold (only if a little desparate and not wanting to go to the market). I feel like the taste tells the story .... (you can taste without "eating", right?). Sometimes you can taste mold that has penetrated, also sometimes tastes like carbonation, not good either but not sure how "bad" that is for your health.
Cooldotcalm

Anonymous

07/11/2013 - 11:54pm

what is the mold that looks like a flower grey in centre to yellowish petals I found this on sliced beetroot

Anonymous

06/28/2013 - 1:40pm

I keep cheese even though it's got mold on it. I have also been known to scrape the mold off the top of the sour cream container and eat what's left. I have also eaten food that's been left out over night. I just make sure to nuke it real well. I am a firm believer of germs. It's the only way our body has to defend itself. If your life is too sterile, your body has no immunities and you will get sick much easier. When I was about 18 months old, my mother found me eating mud and garden snails. I'm still not dead yet! :0)

Anonymous

06/17/2013 - 2:37pm

I bless them, cut as much as possible off of them and eat them. bacon too.don't try this unless you bless it first. God says that his believers can take anything unto their bodies and not be hurt, I do so appreciate your information. thanks and bless you. I never waste cheese.

Anonymous

05/07/2013 - 12:36pm

What kind of mould is on Salami?

Anonymous

04/01/2013 - 7:35pm

mostly i just toss out foods with molds because if i see one speck of mold i toss it.i cant risk death instead of being alive so what would you choose death or being alive?huh.so anyway i wrote this because it happened to my granpa and he is only 24

Anonymous

03/14/2013 - 3:34pm

Get a full year of EatingWell magazine.
World Wide Web Health Award Winner Web Award Winner World Wide Web Health Award Winner Interactive Media Award Winner