It's weird that you call bell peppers and cabbage hard but you call cucumbers soft. How do you get that? The opposite seems true to me.
11/29/2015 - 9:32am
I typically tend to err on the side of caution.
Better safe than sorry!
11/17/2015 - 11:27am
i picked some fresh raspberries over nite they hade mold on them ere they safe to consume if i make jam and use a oressure cooker
08/26/2015 - 2:09pm
Don't take a chance! Food poisoning is something of a nightmare sometimes requiring hospitalization.
07/20/2015 - 7:35am
cheddar cheese often has gone mouldy before i have finished it . .i just give it a quick scrape an get on with it..if i cut an inch off there would be no cheese left. i am in my eighties and remember mother scraping mould off during WW2. home made jam may get a fur coat in not used within a year just remove a couple of spoons full and alls well.
06/08/2015 - 8:38am
I use them and have never been ill from it in my life and I'm 28.
06/07/2015 - 10:43am
I should say, they tasted fine, and running them under the tab washed the offending parts clean off.
05/27/2015 - 2:47pm
I scrape mold off cheese, cut it off potatoes and peel onion layers till I see fresh onion. Fruits if bought recently I wash in a hot sink FULL of water with 3 DROPS regular old laundry bleach (without added scents). When I was in the military we used bleach (1 drop per quart) to purify ugly water. We did this ONLY when we ran out of iodine tablets. I have never gotten sick from any. Now if someone figures out how to use spoiled milk to cook with, that would be an accomplishment.
05/21/2015 - 6:26pm
When I've waited too long to eat strawberries that my wife has cleaned and prepared, but not yet added sugar, they sometimes get moldy. I just toss them, mold and all, into our blender with an equal amount (or more) of crumbled graham crackers, a 6 ounce container of yogurt and make a smoothie. Yum! Yum!
ps My wife thinks I'm nuts and refuses to eat any ... so, more for me!!
04/18/2015 - 3:32pm
Use! Americans waste WAY too much food. I always scrape off obvious mold (for taste purposes) and use the remainder, regardless of moisture within. Most people on most sites say, "toss." But, no one EVER states what it is that is bad about food-related mold for human consumption. I NEVER get ill. EVER. I am on food stamps and, to me, it is sacrilege to waste anything, if at all possible, especially based on non-scientific hearsay.
Most use-by dates and recipe recommendation for saving leftovers are a joke, based on the opinions of ignorant, spoiled, paranoid people. I have a good refrigerator that runs cold. I use broths made over a year before use. Simply boil for a few moments and you have perfect, aromatic, tasty broth as a base for soups, sauces, etc.
That said, I am open to any SCIENTIFIC facts regarding molds that form on well-refrigerated food.
Thank you for your efforts on keeping people informed.