I eat breakfast every day regardless of the time of year—breakfast provides me with a much-needed morning energy boost and keeps me focused. And research shows that regular breakfast eaters weigh less and have an easier time keeping weight off. (Who doesn’t love that?)
In the cooler months, I almost always eat a hearty, healthy bowl of oatmeal. But in the heat of summer the last thing I want is a steaming-hot breakfast. Luckily, there are plenty of refreshing breakfast options to help me beat the heat and start my day right. Here are my 4 favorite breakfast ideas to stay healthy and cool all summer long.
1. Smoothies: We don’t get into the triple-digit temperatures very often in Vermont, but it definitely gets hot enough to whip up a frozen treat in the morning. EatingWell’s Banana-Cocoa Soy Smoothie gives you a tasty reason to wake up in the morning. The creamy combination of frozen bananas and chocolate is balanced nicely by the protein-packed soymilk and tofu (I promise you can’t taste it).
2. Cold Oatmeal: I don’t give up on oats entirely over the summer; I just eat them cold! It might sound strange—but don’t knock it till you try it. My favorite recipe, Tutti-Frutti Muesli, mixes oats, fruit and yogurt for a refreshing and super-quick breakfast. This tasty breakfast is also nutritionally balanced with oats providing healthy whole grains, yogurt adding protein and calcium, and the fruit contributing essential vitamins, minerals and fiber.
3. Fruit & Yogurt Parfait: I love how quick and nutritious this breakfast is. Yogurt is rich in probiotics, healthy bacteria that help your digestive system. I use 1 cup of whatever fruit I have on hand (some favorites are strawberries and peaches) and 1 cup of plain nonfat Greek yogurt as a base. I top my parfait with a serving of my favorite homemade granola and am left with a satisfying treat rich in protein, calcium, whole grains and fruit.
4. Homemade Power Bars: I don’t know about you, but long days in the summer make it hard for me to get to bed at a decent hour. (I want to soak up the sun while I can!) Those late nights mean that my morning alarm always seems to go off a tad too early. When I’m pressed for time in the morning I grab one of EatingWell’s Almond-Honey Power Bars to go. These portable breakfast bars are packed with nuts, seeds, whole grains and fruit so I know I’m not falling short on nutrients—even when I’m short on time. Almond butter makes these bars taste fantastic and provides heart-healthy fat, which helps give this breakfast real staying power.
What’s your favorite breakfast to eat when it’s hot outside? Tell us what you think below.
Tell us what you think:
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)