Who doesn't love creamy mac and cheese? 4 recipes to try
By Carolyn Malcoun, September 8, 2009 - 4:27pm
Mac & cheese is one of my all-time favorite comfort foods. I was a big fan of the boxed variety when I was a kid (the kind that came with a can of “real” cheese sauce, not the powdered cheese stuff, of course). And my mom was a big fan because it was a quick, easy meal that the whole family liked. But when I was finally wise enough to look at the nutrition label on those boxes, I was stunned at all the fat and sodium (and don’t forget all those unpronounceable ingredients). Not only is this ultra-creamy version of mac-and-cheese nearly as fast as the boxed variety, but your family will be able to pronounce every ingredient. Even my mom can get on board with that!
When I have some extra time, I like to cook Baked Mac & Cheese. Whenever I make it, I whip up a double batch to freeze for a practically instant dinner on a busy night. And there’s a layer of spinach in there, which is delicious and nutritious!
Hate spinach or just prefer your mac & cheese unadorned? Try our plain-Jane veggie-free baked Macaroni & Cheese. Or if you want to really get fancy, go for Cheesy Chicken Pasta, an ooey-gooey crowd-pleasing pasta dish that's like rich and creamy macaroni-and-cheese tossed with cauliflower and chicken. If mac & cheese is just one of the reasons you love pasta, here are 22 other ways to dress up a box of pasta.
What ingredient do you like to add to your mac & cheese to make it special? Tell us what you think below.
Tell us what you think:
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)