I love football, but I’m having a bit of a problem. Game days have sort of become my excuse to eat badly. Something about watching 250-pound men smashing into each other makes me want to eat nachos, cheese dip and my new favorite, Buffalo wings. (In the same boat? Try these healthier game-day eats instead: JoJo’s Party Mix and More Low-Cal Football Snacks)
Football is stressful! I need something to numb my nerves and with the Super Bowl coming up I’ve got to get a grip. So to freak myself out just a little more, I looked up the nutritional profile of some of the best wing joints in the area.
OK, so I’m freaked out. (And these places consider this to be an appetizer. I wonder what my entree might look like?) Anyway, I’m going to have to do something about this. I still want to stick with the “theme” of junk food, but not the calories. So for the big game, I’m going to make EatingWell’s Boneless Buffalo Wings. They’re not exactly “wings” per se (they’re made from chicken tenders), but that’s what makes them better for you.
They’re crispy because they’re fried in the oven, not a huge vat of oil. And the recipe includes vegetables—carrot and celery sticks for dipping in the blue cheese sauce, which is made with reduced-fat sour cream.
I’ll save an average of 711 calories, 58 grams of fat and 2,967 mg sodium by making this version instead of ordering them from a restaurant. Touchdown!
Get The Recipe: Boneless Buffalo Wings
Even though boneless Buffalo wings are made with healthy white-meat chicken, they’re usually deep-fried and drenched in hot sauce laced with butter. The solution: chicken tenders are dredged in seasoned whole-wheat flour and cornmeal, pan-fried in only a small amount of oil and then drizzled with a tangy hot pepper sauce. With a fraction of the fat, calories and sodium, these boneless wings are reason enough to throw a party.
Related Links from EatingWell:
- 20 Tasty Tailgating Ideas
- Southwestern Layered Bean Dip & More Zesty Bean Dip Recipes
- One-Pot Chilis to Feed a Crowd
- 3-Ingredient Super Bowl Dips
Tell us what you think:
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)