Make-ahead dinner: healthier comfort-food sausage casserole
By Wendy Ruopp, November 29, 2012 - 10:22am
Quick. Easy. Tasty. There’s just something about casseroles. People love them: we’re all just looking for comfort and deliciousness in one dish. While the word might conjure nostalgic memories of a well-coifed 1950s housewife in a frilly apron combining cans of creamy soup with leftovers to make dinner, our palates today call for dishes that are healthier and even more delicious.
EatingWell’s healthy casserole recipes aren’t “open cans and dump everything in one pan” casseroles. For dinner tonight try our Sauerkraut & Sausage Casserole (pictured above). It’s warming and tangy and satisfying with sausage (turkey kielbasa), sauerkraut and mustard and topped with thinly sliced potatoes. If you have a food processor with a slicing attachment or a mandoline, it’s easy to slice the potatoes thinly and deal them out over the filling like Grandma laying out her cards for solitaire. Plus you can make the filling up to two days ahead, top with potatoes and then just pop it in the oven when you get home from work.
So tie on an apron—your grandmother’s, your father’s, that $50 artist-made one you got on Etsy—and head into the kitchen to make some memories.
Sauerkraut & Sausage Casserole
One bite of this hearty sausage casserole recipe—full of sauerkraut, apples and kielbasa—and you’ll be transported to a tiny pub in the Alsace region of northern France. Serve with extra mustard if you like.
How often do you make a casserole for dinner? Tell us what you think below.
Tell us what you think:
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- What Does a 1,500-Calorie Diet Look Like? (85 comments)
- EatingWell 28 Day Meal Plan Help (50 comments)
- EatingWell 7-Day Meal Plan Help (32 comments)
- Week #1: Are You Ready for a Change? (30 comments)
- Bottled Water vs. Tap (29 comments)
- EatingWell Magazine Digital Subscriptions or Single Issue Copies (28 comments)
- 3 Antidotes to Overeating (24 comments)
- The Wild Salmon Debate (21 comments)
- 7 Steps to Permanent Weight Loss (20 comments)
- Boost Fiber to Slim Down (18 comments)