I ate vegetarian for a while, and perhaps the most annoying thing about it was going to a barbecue and seeing that a plain-Jane-veggie-burger-from-a-box was my only option for dinner. Now don’t get me wrong, a veggie burger can make a mighty fine meal. But when my meat-eating friends were enjoying smoked ribs slathered with homemade barbecue sauce, I felt like my meal was simply an afterthought.
But these delicious vegetarian recipes for the grill are anything but afterthoughts. Who needs ribs when you can have Black Bean & Hominy Succotash with Barbecued Portobello Mushrooms topped with its own delicious sweet-smoky sauce. Or a hearty Grilled Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich, with a fraction of the fat and calories you find in your standard breaded-and-fried eggplant Parm. My go-to vegetarian option is tofu in Pirate Marinade, fragrant with orange juice, allspice, cloves and cinnamon. Every time I make it I get requests for the recipe from vegetarians and meat eaters. For the best flavor, let it marinate overnight.
Need more grilling inspiration? Get more recipes for rubs and marinades, plus a chart for marinating and grilling times and check out EatingWell’s Ultimate Grilling Guide for more recipes, articles and tips to make you master of your grill.
Tell us what you think:
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)